Milestones of Our Brands
It all began in a pharmacy in Bielefeld, Germany, in 1891. But did you know that the brand with its white silhouette logo has had an international presence for over 110 years? In addition to our well-known umbrella brand Dr. Oetker, we would like to present the brands Ancel and cameo.
Consistent brand management requires a high level of product recognition through distinctive symbolism. The brand identity began in 1893 with a glass containing foam, replaced in 1899 by the silhouette of a head. This symbol is still visible on our products today.
In 1908, the first international subsidiary with its own production site was established in Austria. The First World War broke out shortly after, and foreign business came to a standstill. Dr. Oetker’s business resumed successfully in the post-war period, and foreign markets were quickly brought back into focus. At this point, the company also wanted to expand its business into the French market. On July 22, 1919, a contract was signed with the French manufacturer Adolphe Ancel to produce and distribute Dr. Oetker products. In Alsace-Lorraine and Luxembourg, the products were sold under the Dr. Oetker brand name. However, in the rest of France, they were sold under the Ancel brand. The company headquarters are in Strasbourg to this day. The Ancel brand continues to develop rapidly and is very popular in France. Just like Dr. Oetker, Ancel has always been committed to running powerful advertising campaigns, such as sponsoring the Tour de France. In 1930, a new factory was opened in Strasbourg – which still exists today.
The product range is similar to Germany's but features a few notable differences. To this day, pretzel sticks, and other snacks are still produced. In 2006, Ancel became Dr. Oetker in France. The traditional Ancel name is still used for the range of salty snacks. In the three plants in Ludres, Schirmeck, and Strasbourg, 280 employees produce pretzels, pretzel sticks, cake, and dessert products every day.
In Italy, people have always had a sweet tooth. It’s no wonder why Dr. Oetker was quick to spot an opportunity for expansion here. In 1930, an import base was established in Milan, and by 1933, an independent manufacturing and sales company had already been set up in response to the high demand. The products were still being sold with the Dr. Oetker brand name at this time. During the 1950s, Dr. Oetker Italy managed to build on the successes of the pre-war period and quickly surpassed them. In 1958, the production site was moved from Milan to Lake Garda, or more precisely to Desenzano del Garda. Just like the German headquarters, the company also implemented elaborate marketing efforts, such as setting up its own fleet of advertising cars.
As the name Dr. Oetker proved to be challenging to pronounce for native Italian speakers, a new brand name was created in 1953: “cammeo”. The inspiration was a typical piece of Italian jewelry, an oval-shaped woman’s silhouette profile carved from ivory and worn on clothing. In 1985, the name was shortened to “cameo”. Over the decades, the brand has become increasingly popular. In addition to the classic baking and dessert products, the range also started to include frozen products, such as pizzas or warm desserts. The assortment consists of more than 260 items. Today, cameo is considered to be a quintessentially Italian company by consumers. In 2012, cameo opened its own brand experience center, Dolce Casa, at the Desenzano del Garda site. cameo currently employs more than 400 people.